William’s Condition, update 2
Today for William holds a day of peaceful sleep, sweet dreams…and as I like to think, communion with Jesus. His day was to be woken at 8, 12, & 4. They’re taking him off the propofal to see how he reacts when he gains consciousness. Bea and I just left the room for the 12 waking, and we can see it’s taking his brain longer to process waking up. He just barely opened his eyes, moved his body around a little bit. But, nothing like the fighter I saw yesterday. From my understanding, the longer he’s on propfal, the harder it is to wake up anyways, so I’m hoping that’s why we didn’t see such a good response. I’m only hoping that.
We did get worse news. The strain of bacterial menangitus he has is called streptococcus pneumonai (pneunmococcus). He’s been on 3 antibiotics; a cocktail of drugs of which is supposed to be very good for anyone in this situation. The bad news is that the strain of bacteria he has is rejecting part of the antibiotics that they’re using to kill the bacteria. One of these bacteria alone cannot kill the entire system.
“This just makes a bad situation worse.” (doctor’s words)
Where this puts us: He’s getting a spinal tap today and we should see some of the results. The spinal tap will tell us if the bacteria has increased, decreased, or stayed the same. Then the microbiologist and icu doctor can determine what other drugs they can use to treat him. It’s a possibility that they may use a drug that’s about 10 years old, which comes with side effects. It’s a possibility there is a deeper infection they haven’t discovered yet.
I’m telling you and pleading with you to get on your knees and stay with us in prayer. I’m so numb right now and can’t even process all this information.
I’ll update with spinal tap results asap.