William is being woken from the medicated-coma daily at 8, 12, & 4. Last night’s blog entry, I told you the purpose of this. I’m never here at 8 as I’m trying to spend time with Cartie boy so we made sure Uncle Bill was here so William could hear a voice he knew.
I showed up at about 9am. He was running late because they took him for a CT scan on his brain. The purpose of this is to see if his brain is swollen and basically what it looks like because his heart rate dropped. Normal for him is about 60 and it was in the mid-50’s.
This morning Dr. Goddell (neurologist) said, “His prognosis looks good.” (Thank you Jesus!!!)
Another praise to God is that the first reading of his spinal tap from last night showed no micro-organisms were growing! (aka: bugs in his system that would fight the antibiotics.) This is only the first reading; as great as it is, I’ve got to remember to stay diligent and clear minded knowing we have many more reports that will be read from this spinal tap as the hours go on.
So, let’s get to him waking up 🙂 Nurse Tara, Rick (Will’s Dad), & I were back there with him.
- He didn’t want to open his eyes because he nodded yes to saying it was too bright.
- Nurse Tara reassurred him the lights were off and he tried to open his eyes.
- She told him where he was and that I was right there. He nodded yes that he could see me!
- He squeezed both hands!!!
- He held two fingers up on both fingers!!!
- He wiggled all toes on both feet!!!
- Then I started talking to him and told him his Dad was there and he waved hi to his Dad with his left hand!
I’ve been trying to write this for hours; so let me fast forward…
Nurse Tara thought he might be able to be taken off the propoval & breathing tubes because of the progress his body’s been showing. (medical details are blurry right now) So, instead I’ll just get to the good parts…
30 minutes they took him off propoval to see how he would do being off the drug. He was slowly waking up; would point to the clock because he wanted to know what time it was. I was reading Psalms 91: 14-16 to him, then Psalms 62. He would look at me and I knew he could hear me. I asked him, “isn’t that scripture so beautiful?” He nodded yes with tears running down his cheeks.
Dr. Roberts came in to check his breathing and said it was perfect and he was ready!!
The respitory therapist came in to remove the breathing tubes and make sure he could follow commands. He coughed when they asked him. He answered the question that his name was “Willy.” (That made me laugh). He started answering all nurse Tara questions;
- Nurse: “Why are you in here?”
- Will: “My brain is swollen.”
- Nurse: “It’s May 5th today William. You’ve been in the ICU for four days.”
- Will: “Oh, it’s cinco de mayo” (are you kidding me right now Lord?! Who comes out of a coma and says that?”)
- Nurse: “Ya, how about a margarita.”
- Will: “I’ll have one if you buy!”
- Nurse: “So, Will, where do you want to go on vacation?”
- Will: “Hawaii”
- Nurse: “ooo, can I come with you?”
- Will: “Well, I’d really like to take my wife.” 🙂 … shall I hold him to this?!
- Will: “Babe, get Dave Nowak on the phone. We have a job site to be working on”
- Me: “Ya it’s taken care of. Dave & Chase are keeping things going at work. They’re busy installing doors.”
- Will: “What doors?! They shouldn’t be installing doors.”
- I tried to just derail the rest of this conversation since I had no idea what I was talking about but knew they guys had things under control. Thank you, Dave & Chase! You’ve been amazing!!!!
Then, they left us alone and I replayed for him how we got here. He remembered throwing up but nothing after that. He was silly and sarcastic, full of big smiles, and being goofy…He was Will!!!
Then, Mom & Dad came in; and we all rejoiced in tears. We told him all the people all over this country that have been praying for his healing and how things have really looked the past 4 days and we all were just emotional and crying.
When we were alone again, I was telling him who’s been here in the waiting room. And, he kept saying…why was that person here? As if he he thought he just had a sore throat. Like saying…they shouldn’t worry about me. Yep, typical humble spirited, William. He was overwhelmed in a good way from everyone’s visits and prayers. For the next couple hours, 2 at a time, were visiting in his room. He’s taking a nap now and asked to see Cartie. We’re hoping the nurses allow me to run him back for just a quick minute!
Oh, friends and family. I know this is happening and it’s real but I still feel like I’m dreaming. I almost can’t comprehend thinking my husband was on his death bed to seeing him laugh and yell at Chase that should be at work at 2pm; not visiting him.
How does this happen? Only through the healing power of Christ. Only through the living risen God who died for our sins so we could be saved from our sins. Medicine is great – but God, saves. Doctors are smart – but God, saves lives. This morning, I was thinking and praying; God saves us from hell, from our sins and gives us the promise of eternal life with him. But Lord, can you save my husband physically and deliver him back to me as Will? YES HE CAN!!!
I cannot believe I’m having conversations with him.
Please keep praying. The Lord is hearing us and delivering us and trying to show somebody out there that He is real. Somebody needs to see Jesus through this. Why else would Will’s life have become a living testimony to Jesus? Think about it. Is it you? Do you need to be saved?
The doctor seemed wonderfully suprised. He’ll be in the ICU today and possibly released to the regular recovery room tomorrow. We’re waiting to see the results of the CT scan from this morning and continue to wait on his spinal tap results. He’s seeing double right now and that should self correct. Please continue to be in prayer over these things. And as you do, give praise to God and give Him all the glory for saving my sweet husband! Let’s be praying to see how this is going to be a part of Will’s testimony to Christ and a ministry in our life.
WE’RE SO FILLED WITH THE LORD’S JOY!!!!!
*We’re so hoping the charge nurse will let me run Cartie back there for Will to see for a minute.*