William’s condition, update 5
Hi friends and family – So sorry for not giving an update last night. Sleep was definitely needed. Yesterday, (Friday), was our first day in his recovery room. Did you read that? Recovery Room! What a most beautiful 2 worded fragment!
The exhaustion is setting in with lots of moments of not being able to sleep, due to so many factors; meds wearing off and meds in the system, excitement, uncomfortable hospital bed, constant checking from nurses and docs, etc. One thing he continues to look forward to is YOU! He loves his 5 minute visits with you and he’s been asking me to read the comments you’re leaving on our blog and all the cards we’ve received. Every one of them brings us both to tears as we read them together and continue to realize that God didn’t have to save his life; but he did save my husband, because God is way to good to us! The depth of love that YOU have poured out to us during this crisis is indescribable. As I sit and watch him sleep and type this, we both know we’ll never be able to say “thank you” enough. You’ll probably never know the depth that you have touched our lives and hearts because of your love. Praise the Lord that he first showed us how to love by dying for us.
So, yesterday was good!
- William passed his speech therapy test which means we do not need speech therapy! We’re not sure yet on occupation and physical therapy.
- He took 4 steps forward and back yesterday.
- Got up 4 times.
- As we worked the occupation therapy yesterday, it’s very plain to see that William has his physical strength as if nothing ever happened. But his mobility is another issue that we’re trying to teach him again. (by “we”, I mean the OT and him. I just watch as I’m learning.)
- His taste buds and totally off which makes eating not very exciting.
- He is seeing double vision, different colors, and shapes, like circles, on everything around him.
- The ENT specialist came to visit yesterday and we will have a consult with him to see if further surgery is needed to correct his nasal passages. Since William has had a constant runny nose for years now; Dr. Kelsh is beginning to believe, another issue in this matter is that his brain was leaking fluid through his nose. (wow…crazy!) We will see him after being discharged which I’m still confused by so I must continue to ask the right questions.
- All tests (spinal tap, CT scan, White Blood Cell’s, blood results) are all coming back with flying colors!!!
- WBC was 8,000 yesterday and we are getting closer to where we need to be. (Thank you Jesus!!)
- Spinal tap fluid is totally clear and the WBC in there is great.
- No bacteria is showing up in his blood.
- CT scan showing no swelling in his brain.
- Glucose levels are looking great.
- So, now it’s all about letting the medication continue to work and working on therapy.
- Oh!! One more thing…William got up to eat his breakfast today and sat in a chair. We’re going to try to eat every meal in a chair. (in other words, out of the bed.)
- He walked all the way to the shower and back! YIPEE!!
Getting back to real life is like getting closer by one inch every day. Like I’ve said, it’s a long road ahead. But we’re so encouraged right now. Sure, there’s ups and downs, every day, but I couldn’t ask for anything better from where I’m sitting. The Lord is good.
- Sleep…please continue to pray that William can get in to a deep sleep.
- Please pray his eyes continue to self-correct as that is what the doctors believe will happen and his vision will be restored.
- His body is so achy; please pray that everyday that passes we get a little closer to him feeling good and gaining mobility.
- Pray for the possible brain leaking and what direction we need to go with this.
A couple final things:
- Carter got more time with Daddy last night! I know Cartie-cakes gets confused by all of this so please pray that when they do get time together, it’s just sweet. He’s also not feeling too well, so pray Cart gets to feeling good quickly. It’s hard to take care of someone else’s baby all day everyday; but even harder when they don’t feel good. We couldn’t be more grateful to my adopted family for giving Carter consistency and love all week long.
- I know some of you are worried about me. Thank you for your concern. Please do not be worried. I’m getting sleep at night knowing Will is now is such a wonderful place. I get to spend time with Cart in the mornings, sometimes in the afternoon, and evenings. I want you to know I am exactly where I need to be in this room with my husband and there’s no where else in the world I’d rather sit. I am resonating with joy as I get to give him such sweet love by being available for all of his needs.
- Lastly, I’m going to share something very personal. (as if I haven’t already, right?!) …
- We have been saving money to buy a car for our family as it’ll be my main vehicle of transportation. (we want to buy in cash as not to live in debt.) We also decided to choose a high deductible insurance plan when purchasing private insurance as we are self-employed. Monday night as I was trying to sleep I realized our deductible and the money we were planning to purchase a car with were the same amount. There are lots of sacrafices we choose to make with money and live below our means so we can afford to stay home and raise our children. We’re choosing what we believe is most important for our family.
- My prayer request is that I am becoming increasingly worried about how I’m bring my husband home from the hospital and how I’ll be taking 2 children around plus my husband in two and a half months from now. Currently we have his work truck and his high school vehicle (1983 Jeep) and it’s as rustic as it sounds. Not very safe for a family at all. Nor can 2 adults and 2 babies fit in it.
- I’ve been praying and seeking every possible way in how to remedy this situation and continue to come up to dead ends.
- This week, the Lord asked me to put my husband at the alter and I didn’t know if he was going to live or not. The Lord allowed me by his grace to have my husband again. He allowed you to have William back; but he didn’t have to. God did it because of His goodness; not because you or I deserve his blessings. I’m finding again this week the Lord is asking me to put this car situation at the alter so He can work through it instead of me trying to control. I’m finding it very hard and I’m not even sure if I explained it correctly. Please join me in praying for my mind to rest and knowing that God will take care of this need. I mean, come on Jenet, the Lord brought your husband back to life.